Happy New Year Friends! I hope your year is off to a great start! Mine’s starting off swell. Right now, I’m on vacation in the Caribbean/Central America, on a cruise with this guy:
It’s my week to relax before my big move which is happening in a little over a week. EEEK!
Anywho… Since this is the first post of the new year, I thought I’d share with you some of my goals for 2012. I’m a goal oriented person, and one thing I learned while teaching was to make SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely). You won’t find me saying, “This year I resolve to fill in the blank with generic new year’s resolution.” That doesn’t motivate me at all. I guess it comes down to semantics, but I prefer to have goals to achieve, rather than just deciding to do something differently this year.
So, here’s a few that I’d like to share.
- Run a sub 4:00 marathon at the Country Music Marathon in April. I hope to do so by following my training plan.
- Complete a Half IronMan. I need to research Florida races, but I’m considering the new Rev3 70.3 or Miami 70.3. Oh, or a smaller, local race!
- Go 2:30 (or faster) in an Olympic distance triathlon. My best time right now is 2:39.20, from a race in 2010. Though I raced 4 Olympics last year, 3 of them weren’t “true” Olympic distances, and the other was done in ridiculous heat, so I didn’t push too hard. It’s a lofty goal, but I want it bad. Maybe even more so than the sub 4:00 marathon…
- Practice yoga regularly. OK, so this might not be the most defined goal, but I’ll count it a success if I go 1 day/week while I’m training for my marathon and tris.
- Get connected into the Tampa tri scene. Aka join the local tri club and actually training with them! I’m a member of the DC Tri club, but I can probably count on one hand the number of club events I’ve participated in. Being in a new city, I’m looking to the tri club as a way to meet people.
- Stay connected with all my DC friends. Of course there’s Facebook, the blog, and texting. But I want to (gasp) pick up the phone and call people the old fashioned way. My college roommate Michelle is REALLY good at keeping in touch. I think she keeps a list of the people she needs to call each week. I
mightshould take a lesson from her.
I’ve got several more that are developing in my head, but since 2012 is my last year in my 20s (AHHHHHHHHHHHH), these “personal goals” will show up in the form of a “30 before 30” post.
- Continue to blog 2-3 days per week, while balancing a new job in a new city and life in general. This is obviously going to depend on how crazy life gets in the next few months.
- Go self-hosted! I want to take the blog to the next level, and get a bit more creative with design and layout and stuff. By Dec. 31, 2012, this will be done!
If my month of January is any indication, 2012 is already shaping up to be an exciting year!
Question of the day: Did you set any goals for 2012? Which are you most excited about accomplishing? Which will be the hardest to accomplish?