Good Monday Morning Friends!
So Steph is not the only one on vacation! Guess where I (Chloe) am?!?! I’ll give you three hints…
1) The average snowfall here is over 500 inches
3) The state fruit is a Cherry and the state snack food is Jell-O
Drum roll please….UTAH! Yeah, who even know that states had “state snacks.” Check out your state HERE if you are curious about your state snack!
So I am actually probably still sleeping as you read this, as I am not prioritizing getting out of bed early just to post. (but don’t worry, I didn’t think for a second to leave you sans post on this Monday AM). As I mentioned last week, I am on “Spring Break” with my family. Both of my siblings as well as Chris are still in school (College, PhD and Law School- yeah smarty pants people over here) so I am pretending that I am still in school too and taking my spring break with them 🙂 I have my camera and computer with me so will definitely be posting some fun ski/yummy eats shots later this week, but wanted to give you something to keep you busy till I got back.
I am constantly complaining about how I get home from a tough workout at night, tired and uber hungry and totally not in the mood to put together a meal that takes more than
10 2 minutes. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to cook..but after a morning workout, a long day at work followed by a second workout, I just want food in my belly. FAST. I am totally guilty of completely ruining a really good dinner by housing bread and butter, a bag of chips or any other easy to reach carb in my cabinet. Not the best way to fuel your body. But I have discovered an ancient gem….
Somehow it has taken me this long to discover this baby! It is actually not mine. My nice neighbor is letting me do a few test runs before I buy my own, but I think I am sold.
I decided to stick to a pretty classic crock pot dinner for my first attempt: Slow Cooker Imitation BBQ Pulled Chicken. Don’t worry- its not imitation chicken, its imitation BBQ sauce. Chris and I had this at a friend’s Superbowl party and after one bite decided that
we I should make this. (I cook…he is a great dish washer). The original recipe comes from here, since I didn’t have the exact ingredients around, I made due with what I had.
And it turned out great!
Slow Cooker Imitation BBQ Pulled Chicken: Serves 6-8 normal sized eaters and 4-6 hungry athletes
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup apricot jam (I used the stuff with the fruit in it. Gota get my fruit in!)
- 1 tablespoon dried paprika
- 1 cup smoked beer (I used Yeungling simply because it was in my fridge, but I would recommend a Rauchbier smokier beer. I think an apricot beer could go well too..but maybe that’s just my obsession with fruit)
- 5.5 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
WHAT TO DO:
- Mix everything in the crock pot except for the chicken
- Plop or gently place in the chicken
- Slow cook for 7-8 hours. (I don’t have the leisure of leaving work to get home to my crock pot so it sat for more like 9-10 hrs and was just fine!
- Take the chicken out of the pot and pull it apart with two forks. It should tear SUPER easily.
- Plop or gently place it back in the pot, give it a little mix and voila.
- Dinner is served in 2 or maybe 5 minutes!
I served mine up on a bed of lettuce with some 5 minute brown rice.
Yummo. Easy. Healthy. AND filling. I will definitely be experimenting with the crock pot again soon! See you Wednesday 🙂
Question of the day: What is your favorite 5 or 10 minute go to meal?!